connecting users of the CorelDRAW family of products
We take every threat seriously. CorelDRAW.com has not been affected by the Heartbleed security bug.

Cannot "Save", "Save as..." nor "Export" files in Corel PhotoPaint X5

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 19 Replies | 3 Followers

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

kubikmeter posted on Tue, Apr 27 2010 16:43

While "Draw" of Coreldraw X5 is working well, Corel Photopaint X5 does not "Save", "Save as..." or "Export" files. It just does nothing, when I choose to save a file under "something.cpt". It works, as long as it is a JPG, but not as a CPT. I am working on a Win7, with CorelX5 in german. Support told me to reinstall... thank you very much. I did, and after hours the same problem occured. Its obvious that they have no clue.

Has anybode encounterd the same problem?

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Male
TAG - MacroMonster.com
Verified by MAGERA

kubikmeter:
Jeff, thank you very much, that worked. I can "save" and so on now with just starting CPT. I do not know which other consequences that has to the program, running it in a compatibility mode.

I don't foresee any problems BUT this is a workaround until we figure what's really going on...

kubikmeter:
I can continue working now, thanks again

Glad to help, I am in same boat...

kubikmeter:
Now, I cannot drag&drop pictures from Windows Explorer into CPT
Yes, same new problem here. crazy...

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Male
TAG - MacroMonster.com
I've had this problem too. I wonder if it's related to OS theme.

I use classic mode... what sometimes happens: title bar doesn't update to new versions and I get strange errors as shown in video:
<kubikmeter> wrote in message news:85703@coreldraw.com...

While "Draw" of Coreldraw X5 is working well, Corel Photopaint X5 does not "Save", "Save as..." or "Export" files. It just does nothing, when I choose to save a file under "something.cpt". It works, as long as it is a JPG, but not as a CPT. Has anybody encounterd the same problem?

Thank you Jeff,

I tried out different themes with W7, but nothing helped.

But I found out something else. If I start PPT alone, save doesnt work.

When I first start CDR and then CPT, then it works. Even, if I close CDR again.

When I first start CPT and then CDR it doesnt work at all.

No "Save", "Save as...", "Export" and "PDF"...

Although I do have a workaround, this seemes to be a bug. May be only the german version.

Thanks again,

Regards, Martin

Top 50 Contributor
Wisconsin
Male

Just a wild thought here but ... I wonder if it could have something to do with licensing service errors.

I just mention because you say the behavior changes depending on whether Draw is open or closed when you start PhotoPaint.

I had a different problem with X5. If I tried opening Draw by double-clicking a file Draw would open, but empty.  This is when I noticed that opening Draw produced a series of errors in my event log relating to "Protexis licensing service".

I suspect these errors are possible cause of instability, performance, & / or odd glitches in X5.

Mutex error from X5

Double-click .cdr opens Draw but not the file?

Art for a crowded planet - your window to my art and life online

Making images of balance and harmony for a chaotic world.

Thank you Andrew,

my log is stuffed with "Protexis licensing service". But the messages are somewhat meaningless.

I try to investigate here a little more.

As so often, those (licensing) products are punishing the honest under us.

Thanks again,

Martin

Top 50 Contributor
Apple Valley, MN
Male

Resetting your workspace may help here too.  I have seen instances in older versions of PhotoPaint where not having access to save functionality was the result of a corrupt work space. Have you tried resetting the workspace?

Rikk Flohr
Fleeting Glimpse Images
All things Digital Imaging  Blog  

Holy Crop! the blog dedicated to Cropping

Thank you Rikk.

I tried out resetting the workspace, but the problem remains.

As a workaround, I am starting CDR prior to CPT, then I am grumbling for a while... then I am trying to convince myself, that I would need CDR anyway... then it works fine so far.

Thanks again,

Regards,

Martin

Top 500 Contributor
Argentina

Take a look at: right click on the task bar -> Start task manager -> services tab -> PSI_SVC_2 Protexis Licensing V2.

This service must be on "Running" status every time you use a Corel product. Check if is on "stopped" while you're using Photopaint.

Thanks, Psy... well... yes it reports beeing running.

I need to have a closer look to the log of the Protexis..

anyway, thanks a lot. Regards, Martin

Protexis Licensning Service is reporting

Failed to Release Mutex Error ID = Returned Error 288

Failed to Release Mutex Error ID = Returned Error 1

Not Ranked
Florstadt / Germany
Male

The same problems that i have with PhotoPaint! (and in Draw too if i export as JPG!)

There are several Posts to this 'feature'

http://coreldraw.com/forums/t/19349.aspx

http://coreldraw.com/forums/t/18504.aspx

@kubikmeter: ich habe auch die deutsche version und suche schon eine zeitlang nach 'leidensgenossen'. vielleicht ist das wirklich ein problem der lokalisierung? 

Hi Stephan,

thanks for the links to the other threads.

I am not alone...nor are you...ha ha

I kept my conversation with Corel Support. Waste of time. They tell you to uninstall/reinstall just to keep you doing something, then the tell you to send a total report about your machine (what I didnt do). Because I did prefer to not send this report, they told me, it's not a Corel bug, but it is my fault.

Waht again is the english word for "Frechheit"?

Then they do this survey... how satisfied was your experience with the support... ha ha... why do they?

After reading thru the other threads, I cannot believe thet it has something to do with the localisation. It is just shitty software nd an arrogant support.

Well, that's good.

I sent a mail to Protexis support. and they answered in sending a link to an update. After installing the update MY WORKAROUND DOESN'T WORK anymore. How fine is that? Before the update, I could first start CDR and then CPT to save my files. After installing the update, even that doesnt work anymore.

When the coming week is over, and there is no solution in sight, I will send back the package and stop buying Corel products after around 20 years or so.

Top 10 Contributor
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Male
TAG - MacroMonster.com

Try running PP in windows XP sp3 compatibility mode. It worked to solve my problem to get save /export dialog back. right-click on launch icon to access these details.

kubikmeter:
When the coming week is over, and there is no solution in sight, I will send back the package and stop buying Corel products after around 20 years or so.

Bingo !

Jeff, thank you very much, that worked. I can "save" and so on now with just starting CPT. I do not know which other consequences that has to the program, running it in a compatibility mode.

I can continue working now, thanks again, Best regards from Munich/Germany, Martin

(jNow, I cannot drag&drop pictures from Windows Explorer into CPT...)

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions / User Guidelines.