connecting users of the CorelDRAW family of products
We take every threat seriously. CorelDRAW.com has not been affected by the Heartbleed security bug.

converting RGB to CMYK - fails

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 17 Replies | 1 Follower

Page 2 of 2 (18 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

Cowtoon posted on Thu, Apr 26 2012 12:37

I have created some vector drawings for the web or electronic viewing only.  I now need to convert some of this stuff for print and when I convert from RGB to CMYK, the colours lose their vibrancy.  and when I'm converting, I no longer have the picker to work with.

Can someone help? ... please and thanks.

Thanks.

All Replies

Ok ... found a tool that picks up the colour and tells you the hex, html, reg, cmy, hsv values wherever you hover your mouse.  It's called pixie.  The same site has a tool that also recognizes fonts.  The site is nattyware.  Perhaps you've already heard of it.  I'll see if it'll work for for what I'm after. 

Apologies ... was wrong about the font tool ... it simply lists all the fonts you have. 

Top 10 Contributor
Sweden
Male

Cowtoon:
At this point in time, the no. of prints don't warrant offset, however, the printers use a printer that uses CMYK, so I'm still kind-a hooped.  Many of the colours as mentioned earlier, had a washed out look.  Moving foward, I'd like to prevent this.   From what I've read, I don't seem to have the full selection of colours, using CMYK as I do with RGB.
There'll probably be slightly different response from others regarding this, but in short:

Printing is almost always CMYK, which limits what can be printed to the CMYK gamut.
The RGB gamut is wider and gives colors on screen that can not be printed CMYK. You can still, if you like, use RGB  in your designs but then I suggest you make sure you have appropriate color management settings (if you don't know, the defaults will probably do) and enable the "Proof colors" function (little monitor icon in Status Bar). This will give you a screen representation of how it will look in print.
Since this will limit what you see to the CMYK color space, you might as well (or even preferably) work in CMYK from the start, unless your design is going to be used for the web (and in which case the web colors and in print will look different, as you've already found out).

Please read my argumentation for working in CMYK in this thread.

/Ronny

“The ability to think differently today from yesterday distinguishes the wise man from the stubborn”
John Steinbeck

Page 2 of 2 (18 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions / User Guidelines.