connecting users of the CorelDRAW family of products
We take every threat seriously. CorelDRAW.com has not been affected by the Heartbleed security bug.

simple questions..

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 5 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS

charlottecyprus Posted: Mon, Jul 7 2008 3:27

Im new to coreldraw, always use Photoshop, but am now producing a monthly mag (which is why im not having to use corel).

Few things im getting stuck on, probably very simple, but I cant work it out quickly...

1. When i make a text box and enter text in it. i want to drag the outer corners to make the text the width of the page for example. can this be done? or do i have to keep selecting / highlighting the text and then select the size at the top of the screen.?

2. I have an image, and i want to crop, where is the option to do so?

3. When i make a new document, is the pixels settings defaulted at 300 dpi?

4. Bleed - is it correct that i just manually make the A4 page size + 3mm and then i can drag in the guidelines? is there a way of when i set the guidelines for the tops and sides (so i know my limits within the page) - for these guides to be duplicated onto every page?

Top 25 Contributor
Pune, India
Male
CorelDRAWMaster

Hi

If it is an Artistic Text then you can drag its handles (Handles : Black squares seen on selecting an object by pick tool). Use corner handles for proportionate resizing. NOTE : If the text is a paragraph text then the size of the frame will change and the text size remains as it was defined.

charlottecyprus:
1. When i make a text box and enter text in it. i want to drag the outer corners to make the text the width of the page for example. can this be done? or do i have to keep selecting / highlighting the text and then select the size at the top of the screen.?

You can crop an image with Shape tool. Select the nodes of an image, drag to crop. You need to apply cropping by clicking the "Crop bitmap" button on the menu bar.

charlottecyprus:
2. I have an image, and i want to crop, where is the option to do so?

New document is defaulted for 300 dpi. This applies to the drop shadows and interactive transperancies. If an image is imported, it comes with its native dpi.

charlottecyprus:
3. When i make a new document, is the pixels settings defaulted at 300 dpi?

I normally take the page size as my final job cut size and increase the sizes of the objects in my file with 3 mm bleed on required sides. In X4 You can have the common guidelines on Master Guides layer to have it on all pages and individual page guides on a normal layer on that particular page

charlottecyprus:
4. Bleed - is it correct that i just manually make the A4 page size + 3mm and then i can drag in the guidelines? is there a way of when i set the guidelines for the tops and sides (so i know my limits within the page) - for these guides to be duplicated onto every page?

Top 75 Contributor
Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
Female

Let me see if I can answer some of your questions:

charlottecyprus:

There is a difference between Artistic Text and Paragraph text, if you click on the page with the text tool you get Artistic Text and it will enlarge as you drag the handles. If you take the text tool and drag a square that creates a paragraph text box. Any text you put into that box will fill that box from the left to the right side and wrap as required. So if you start at the left hand side of the page and drag the box over to the right hand side the text will flow to the size of the box. If you right click the paragraph box it gives you the option of "fit text to frame', and the text will fill the frame, not only from left to right but also from top to bottom, the font size changes. Also look at Tools Options Text Paragraph text and test the options there.

charlottecyprus:
. I have an image, and i want to crop, where is the option to do so?

The crop tool is in the tool bar on the left, third from the top, you can also crop from within PhotoPaint - click on 'edit bitmap' PhotoPaint will open, (same tool) make your changes, be sure you save it so it will update in CorelDraw then close PP.

charlottecyprus:
When i make a new document, is the pixels settings defaulted at 300 dpi?

Look again in Tools Options Workspace General and the rendering options, I believe it defaults to 300. Any photos you import will be imported in their native resolution you will have to resample them in PhotoPaint.

charlottecyprus:
Bleed - is it correct that i just manually make the A4 page size + 3mm and then i can drag in the guidelines? is there a way of when i set the guidelines for the tops and sides (so i know my limits within the page) - for these guides to be duplicated onto every page?

I always set my guidelines manually for my bleed because of the varied documents I create, I do not create many multiple page documents so I am not too sure about the guidelines showing on every page, however, if you open your Objects Docker, (Windows Docker Objects) in the Master Layer you will see the guidelines, do a search on Guidelines in Corel Help (F1) and you will probably find the answers you are looking for, or someone else in this forum may offer more help.

Hope this gets you started.

Sherron

Top 10 Contributor
Uruguay
Male
CorelDRAWMaster

About Crop an image, also you can use the Shape Tool (F10, the second tool) and move the nodes, add, convert to curves, to lines, or what you need.

Another way is to create a simple mask, using the PowerClip effect. Select the image (a photo, for example) and choose "place inside container" in the Effects menu / Powerclip, and then select a vector object (a rectangle, or circle)

Ariel Garaza Díaz

arielgaraza.com

Top 100 Contributor
Florida
Male

Holding ALT while dragging a corner handle of a paragraph text box will increase or reduce the font size.

Manuel Rivas
Merritt Island, Fl USA

Thank you every one for your help and replies,

now -

how can i create special effects with artistic text? ie, shadows, bevel and emboss, gradients...

im trying to put a border around photos/pictures... but cant find the option, do i have to draw a box around it?

there was something else i wanted to know....but i cant remember now.......later

Effects: loads of tutorials. Look at http://www.unleash.com/

Putting a border: select the entity, hold <shift> and double click the rectangle. That will put a box round it. [optional] You can then apply a single outer contour to it, then get rid of the origional[/optional], then apply an artistic media stroke to it (better from the docker - access from the "window" menu)

replied on Sun, Jul 13 2008 7:42

charlottecyprus:
Im new to coreldraw, always use Photoshop, but am now producing a monthly mag (which is why im not having to use corel).

I'm working on a book at the moment.

Like you, I've previously preferred PS over CD in creating effects.

I find it faster for me to have all the effects done in PS then import to CD.

As for the resolution, CD is a vector program while PS is a bitmap program (someone reminded me about that when I first join the forum). So one major difference when working in CD is that it does not reflect the actual pixel when you zoom in and out like it is in PS. But if you always work on images above 72dpi, that shall not be an issue for normal small size printing (A4 and below).

I am quite uncertain about the resolution too. While the default DPI setting in the Option is meant for rendering effects, and the images are with the original resolution, what about text? Does it has a default resolution? I'm not sure about that but so far I have no issue with resolution in CD.

Top 75 Contributor
Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
Female

To charlottecyprus and all 'newbies' out there…

Since you are new to CorelDraw and have a lot of questions I suggest that you visit CorelDraw Tip & Tricks. It it s website put out by CorelDraw and the information there will be invaluable to you. http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Corel3/Section/Display&sid=1047024315119&gid=1047024354238&cid=1047024354496 

Over many years I have taught myself CD and PhotoPaint so when I need to know how to do something, I research on the internet. I have copied many of the above tips to my computer as reference documents. I have been surprised a number of times by the things that CorelDraw and PP do that I didn't realize they could. Also on the above-mentioned page you can also click on the Tutorials (left hand menu bar) and it will provide a another long list of tutorials which you can copy to your computer for study and future reference.

Additionally, if you go to www.youtube.com and do a search on 'coreldraw x3 tutorials' there are apparently 109 videos tutorials. I have looked at some of them and they are in many cases very well done and very informative. If you get the free 'Realplayer' it will let you download any of the videos you find there.

Happy reading and learning. 

Sherron

Thank you for suggestions and help,

just two little quick questions -

on photoshop there is the colour picker /eyedropper tool - so i already have a colour on my image on screen - then maybe i make some text and i want it a colour from on screen - isnt there a simple/ quick way of picking a colour from screen to apply to the text? as at the moment im picking the colour - getting its hex number, and then filling the text with a colour and amending its number...

and also - like on photoshop if i want to delete the background from an image i use the magic wand tool - is there any function like this in Coral?

Top 25 Contributor
Pune, India
Male
CorelDRAWMaster

It seems some of the newbies are confusing themselves with CorelDRAW (DRAW)  & CorelPhotoPaint (PAINT). Paint is for editing the bitmap images while DRAW is for vector images and composing the artworks.

It is required to set certain options in the applications that are used. I have never used any application other than DRAW and PAINT so I will not comment on the settings in other applications. I find it convenient to work on single platform i.e. Corel (DRAW & PAINT) for the compatibility issues. Once the options are set correctly in Corel (As whole) it has always worked well for me.

Most of the questions are from the users of other applications and seem to be related with the compatibilities between the used application and Corel. Almost every function, task or effects that can be done in other similar applications is possible to be done in DRAW and PAINT. Its just a matter of practice & patience. Understanding the  Corel terminology, names of the tools and patience to learn is the only workaround I can see. One cannot achieve the results if proper tools are not used. And this applies to all applications.

BTW answer to Charlottecyprus's question : This can be done in PAINT and the tool in PAINT to do it is also called Magic Wand.

charlottecyprus:
like on photoshop if i want to delete the background from an image i use the magic wand tool - is there any function like this in Coral?

Top 10 Contributor
Uruguay
Male
CorelDRAWMaster

charlottecyprus:
and also - like on photoshop if i want to delete the background from an image i use the magic wand tool - is there any function like this in Coral?

First, it's Corel, not coral Big Smile but Corel it's the Company's name. CorelDRAW is only one of the programs of the company, like others (CorelPainter, Corel PhotoPaint. CorelVentura, ,,,)

Second, if you want to use a program similar to Photoshop, you must use a photo editor: Corel PhotoPaint (included in the CorelDRAW suite), Corel PaintShopPro, Corel PhotoImpact or CorelPainter. The easiest way is to open in PhotoPant, the "selection tools" of Photoshop are named "Mask Tools" in PhotoPaint. It's very similar, almost the same. Of course, you have a MagicWand tool. The "Layers" of Photoshop in CorelPhotoPaint are called "Objects". Different name, same function

and also, if you want to do this in CorelDRAW (remember: it's a vector software) you can find some ways to delete the background:

- in the Bitmap menu / Bitmap color mask, you can select one or more uniform colors and remove

- you can draw a contour, and place the bitmap inside as a Powerclip (effects menu/powerclip/place inside container). This is a vectorial mask. For edit content, ctrl+click to open, and ctrl+click outside objects to close.

- yo can select the bitmap or photo with the Shape tool (F10) and move nodes, add, sustract, convert segments to line or curve, and move, to reshape the image.

Ariel Garaza Díaz

arielgaraza.com

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions / User Guidelines.