connecting users of the CorelDRAW family of products
We take every threat seriously. CorelDRAW.com has not been affected by the Heartbleed security bug.

X4 Home & Student Edition VS Standard

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS

Not Ranked
Canada
Male
Koriks Posted: Wed, Nov 19 2008 3:20

Hi all, I am planning to buy CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X4 and I saw this Home & Student Edition on a local store and it's a lot cheaper than the standard version. My question is what are the difference between these two versions of coreldraw? Are there features/capabilities available on the standard version that are not present on the home & student edition? Thanks.

Top 10 Contributor
Cave Creek, AZ
Male
TAG - Mediamarketplace (Foster)
There are a few main differences.

1) You have to be a student.
2) You may NOT use it for commercial work.
3) No printed manuals or support is included.
Top 50 Contributor
St. Albert Alberta Canada
Male
The H&S version has just been released into "select markets."

The items I have been informed are different:
--less "extra" content -- much less clip art.
--not eligible for upgrade
--strictly enforced: absolutely no "commercial use." A message "NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE" is on screen all the time and the word is that Corel will take steps to ensure this is followed.
-License includes three computers WITHIN THE SAME HOUSEHOLD.

Otherwise it is supposed to be complete -- even includes VBA at this point.

Hopefully Gérard will step in with a more definitive answer

Koriks wrote:

Hi all, I am planning to buy CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X4 and I saw this Home & Student Edition on a local store and it's a lot cheaper than the standard version. My question is what are the difference between these two versions of coreldraw? Are there features/capabilities available on the standard version that are not present on the home & student edition? Thanks.

http://coreldraw.com/forums/p/9906/39556.aspx#39556

Paul McGee St. Albert, Alberta, Canada

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Foster --- first time ever I get to call you out!!! ;-)  The poster is referring to the just released HOME and student version, a quite different animal to the "Education" version. Here it is on some dealers shelves at $99 Canadian (sale priced.) It is only available in "select markets" according to Gérard's posts in "the other place."

FosterCoburn wrote:
There are a few main differences.

1) You have to be a student.
2) You may NOT use it for commercial work.
3) No printed manuals or support is included.
Foster D. Coburn III
CorelDRAW Unleashed
http://www.coreldrawunleashed.com
Books, Boot Camps, Conferences and Magazines
CorelDRAW X4 Unleashed Author

http://coreldraw.com/forums/p/9906/39583.aspx#39583

Top 10 Contributor
Cave Creek, AZ
Male
Paul,

Yes, I realized that after I posted. I just have a feeling that most users
will still want to use it commercially and many of the same rules apply as
you mentioned in an earlier post.
Top 25 Contributor
Ottawa (ON), Canada
Male
CorelEmployee

Paul, your answer is correct.

Using CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6.4 with Premium Membership, CorelDRAWTechnical Suite X6 SP1 & CorelCAD 2014
on Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit  / Intel Core i7, 8 Gb RAM.

Not Ranked
Canada
Male

I appreciate the replies guys. Thank you all Yes

If they are serious about "For non-commercial use only", then they should make it easy to upgrade to a commercial version for a reasonable fee.  For example, i might do some graphics for hobby restoration of bicycles.  If I find that it's possible to sell additional copies of the work on ebay, then I would naturally want to upgrade to the commercial version.  Corel should consider making it easy for us to do this for the net-difference in price.

Top 10 Contributor
Pigeon Forge, TN
Male
TAG - gdgmacros.com

Hi.

It's also cheaper because the corel doesn't include vba in this version, which is expensive to license.

-John

Visit me at my GDGMacros website anytime!

Join me on Facebook to stay up to date with GDGMacros, Tips and Tricks for VBA Automation in CorelDraw, Discounts, specials, Free code and macros, and more cool sometimes not so relevant posts!

Top 50 Contributor
Male

Top 10 Contributor
Cave Creek, AZ
Male
John,

That was true for earlier versions, but not for X4. VBA is included with every copy in every flavor.

Not Ranked
Victoria, BC, Canada
Male
GKlein replied on Thu, Apr 29 2010 16:33

I also have been trying to understand the limitations of the X4 Home and Student version. I have phoned Corel twice and have received information that is different to that suggested in this forum.

The H & S has:

• Less digital content than the full version, clipart, photos, special fonts, etc.
  • Has the same functionality as the full version.
  • Can be used to upgrade to a newer version.
  • Can not be used for comercial work.
  • Is limited to being installed on up to 3 computers in the same home.
  • Does not require user to be a student.

Unfortunately this information is not included on the package or documentation included on the DVD.

George

Top 50 Contributor
Male

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions / User Guidelines.