connecting users of the CorelDRAW family of products
We take every threat seriously. CorelDRAW.com has not been affected by the Heartbleed security bug.

Temp drive full issue?

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 5 Followers

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

Top 500 Contributor
Delhi, India
Male
invincible Posted: Fri, Mar 20 2009 7:06

i am looking for a new feature or corel programmer to do hard work to solve this problem that appears in Cdraw.  it shows temp drive full error or A.R.M. although everyday i clean up the temp before starting any application. my suggestions are:

• they can make a feature for different location for the temp which user can specify and define space (GB) also for the same.
  • or they find a solution for that so that the problem do occur.

it is really frustrating some time when we lose over unsaved data. because it does gives any option to saves as, any other different location etc.

HOPE IT WILL BE FINE IN THE NEXT RELEASE.

G D Delhi, India

Winners don't do different things. They do things differently

Top 10 Contributor
Uruguay
Male
CorelDRAWMaster

You can already change the path for temp files, under Tools/Options/Memory

But... TEMP files are not the same that temp drive full error message or A.R.M.

This problem seems the same of this post: http://coreldraw.com/forums/t/12172.aspx

Both message are different. The Corel Application Recovery Manager (C.A.R.M.) only alerts about a problem with the operating systems, such as low system resources. But most people believe that is an error of Corel, and this confusion is quite logical, because a problem with Windows causes problem of CorelDRAW. And most of the times, when Corel ARM alerts is too late. For this reasons, the A.R.M. option is disabled by default.

"Temp files" is not the same of the Windows resources, is not the same of RAM memory, and is not the same of Virtual memory. Of course, if you have a lot of temporary files, the System's resources will decrease, but this is not the only one reason. You can have a lot of RAM (altough all the 32-bits software under all versions of Windows only can use a max of 2 Gb) or a lot of hard disk free space, and having those error messages. But, if you create a big swap file for Windows' virtual memory, you have less problems wint temp files.

Other programs, such as some antivirus, donwnload managers (Ares, for example) and others, requires a lot of the free resources of Windows, and can cause a conflict with CorelDRAW.

So, the next release must improve the memory management, but remember that the Temp files are only one of the problems, and it's not enough to change this for solve the error messages

Ariel Garaza Díaz

arielgaraza.com

Top 500 Contributor
Victoria, BC
Female

I have had this exact same problem but for very different reasons. I find the only time (though every time) I get this error I have imported a PDF item such as a map or plan. I've solved it by turning the item into a bitmap (although it may aready say that it is) and then it will save no problem. Good luck.

Keachybean

Not Ranked
Rowlett, TX
Female
Cyndi replied on Fri, Mar 20 2009 15:04

Ok, how do I adjust the swap file for the virtual memory. I have lost numerous hours of work because of this.

Top 25 Contributor
Murrieta, California, U.S.
Male

On Windows XP: (Vista is similar, just some of the items may be differently named) Start->Control Panel->System. In that pop-up, click on the "Advanced" tab and then on "Settings" under performance, then its "Advanced" tab, finally, at the bottom, the "Change" button.

(Then you ask yourself, why does Microsoft try to make my life so miserable?  Stick out tongue  )

HuMJohn aka Hugh Johnson

I had the same problem today with a complicated jpeg which I spent ages cropping, then when I tried to save got this error message about temp or output being full, tried Keachybean's solution of converting to bitmap, and it worked like a peach!  No more lost data!  Thanks Keachybean!  YesBig Smile

I've been having problems with Corel Draw X4 crashing while opening some files. I cheked my temp folder under user/comp/appdata/local/temp and found it has a lot of temp files on it. I've changed the temp file folder to c:/ and that seemed to have solved the problem. My question is: is it alright to keep corel temp file on the root directory? Is there a way to clean up all the files and folders created under Temp without compromising Corel files?

Thanks

Top 25 Contributor
Male

AndyBay: If you restore the temp files directory back to user/comp/appdata/local/temp, then reboot for that to take full effect. After you reboot, open up your windows Explorer (not IE) and enter '%temp%' (without the quotes), this will set your explorer pointing to your temp directory. Select everything in that directory and delete it, then empty the Trash Can.

Note that Windows will not allow you to delete an active temp file/directory, but those files left behind by other programs in the past will be deleted.

Windows tends to slow down, using too much resources, when the system temp directory starts getting too many files. Many applications do not delete their temp files when the application is closed, thus creating a ton of 'temp files' which are never removed.

HuMJohn aka Hugh Johnson

Top 10 Contributor
Uruguay
Male
CorelDRAWMaster
Ariel replied on Thu, Mar 17 2011 12:31

No matter where you save your temp files, the main problem is to clean up the files. Some programs such as Ccleaner can help you. But the best advice is to allows Windows to manage the virtual memory (the swap file). A small wap file will produce the "temp drive full" warning message

Ariel Garaza Díaz

arielgaraza.com

I've run Ccleaner but I was looking for alternatives as I was still having problems while opening some files. I'm still having the same issue though, I thought I had it solved but I think I talked/typed too fast. ; [

I changed my default workspace as I remember having a similar problem before and this helping. I don't know what to do next, something else is my BFN is crashing as well. I'm sure is font related but don't know exactly what to do next, any suggestions?

I only have like 500 fonts installed, working on X4 on a Win 7 machine. I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks

Top 10 Contributor
Uruguay
Male
CorelDRAWMaster
Ariel replied on Thu, Mar 17 2011 17:39

The font navigator crashing sounds like a conflict with other software, such as Acrobat 8

Increase your virtual memory as much is possible. Do you use 32 or 64 bits version of Windows?

Ariel Garaza Díaz

arielgaraza.com

Top 25 Contributor
Brisbane Australia
Male
Yani replied on Thu, Mar 17 2011 17:46

Run -- %temp%

Delete files

Turn off virtual memory

Check disks

Run -- %temp% [just to be sure]

Turn on virtual memory

Yani

Ned's Mother -- You gotta help us, Doc. We've tried nothing and we're fresh out of ideas!
( The Simpsons, Hurricane Neddy -- Season:8 Episode:8 First Aired:12/29/1996 )

I don't really think the problem is memory. My win 7 system is relatively new, and memory is not an issue. I have plenty or RAM and disk space. Looks more like a configuration problem, the issue arises as soon as I try to open a file that needs fonts to be installed through BFN, when I click to continue opening the file that's when it crashes. It just stays there and nothing happens. I think if I fix the problem with BFN it should get back to normal. Is there anyway to uninstall and reinstall BFN?

Ariel, I do have acrobat 9 full version but it has been working fine for a while now and no changes have been made, do you think I need a reinstall. It's a 64 bit version.

Yani, I don't know how to turn on and off the virtual memory. It's on automatic but I don't see a on off option or anything of that sort.

Top 25 Contributor
Male

Andy, did you install Acrobat before or after you installed X5? (If it was after, you may need to do a Repair on the Corel X5 installation).

HuMJohn aka Hugh Johnson

I found the problem and this time is for real. I just ran file/find fonts on BFN and that did the trick. I think it was all due to a bad font catalog file, as soon as it got replaced all the issues with corel and font navigator itself went away.

It was driving me crazy, every file having to install fonts was failing to open (about 90% of them) so it was no fun sitting with a customer waiting for a file to come up and nothing.

Thank you everyone who tried to help. I hope this will help others with similar issues in the future.

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions / User Guidelines.