connecting users of the CorelDRAW family of products
We take every threat seriously. CorelDRAW.com has not been affected by the Heartbleed security bug.

Preview pane and thumbnails don't work under Windows 7

This post has 43 Replies | 6 Followers

Page 2 of 3 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

Top 10 Contributor
Pigeon Forge, TN
Male
TAG - gdgmacros.com

I like the new image Adrian...

-John

Visit me at my GDGMacros website anytime!

Join me on Facebook to stay up to date with GDGMacros, Tips and Tricks for VBA Automation in CorelDraw, Discounts, specials, Free code and macros, and more cool sometimes not so relevant posts!

Top 25 Contributor
Georgetown, Guyana. South America.
Male

Try

1. Right clicking on a CDR file,
  2. Select 'Open With'
  3. Select 'Choose Default Program'
  4. Use the most recent version of CorelDRAW.

Unfortunately it obviously isn't as simple as that. I`ve already changed the file association to another program and back to CorelDraw but nothing happened.

I now looked for the entries in the control manager in th file association list. Here it seems that .cdr and .cdx-files are appearing with another symbol than all the other Corel extensions - can you see that?:

Further on the description it is not "CorelDRAW X4 Graphic" but "CDR-Datei". Despite of that a double click on a .cdr file opens CorelDRAW X4 correctly!

I'm quite sure that this is a problem with my former version of CorelDRAW 11. I uninstalled CDRW11 after the new CGX4 - I suppose here starts the problem. In the meanwhile I completely uninstalled CGX4 and actually had no Corel software installed on my PC. But after a complete new installation of CGX4 the problem is still there. A double click on a .cdr file opens the correct program but the connection for the preview and the thumbnails is somewhere else and here I think it's the trouble.

In the meanwhile I read all the other posts in this forum with "thumnails" but I didn't found any hint I've already tried out. It's making me crazy ;-(

trex replied on Wed, May 12 2010 6:00

Hey Gonzo

I had EXACTLY the same problem, I just fixed it!!!

Try this and let me know how you go cause it just worked for me:

1. Go to your Control Panel then PROGRAMS AND FEATURES (ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS)

2. Select CorelDraw X4 (or whatever version you have) and click

3. Select Modify from Corel's uninstall options window

4. Scroll down to UTILITIES you should notice your "windows shell extension' box un-ticked, go ahead and tick it . Then run thru the rest of the process until it's done. That's it!

That did the trick for me!

Good Luck buddy!

I can confirm that this works. I had the same issue with losing the previews after installing the X5 trial and modifying the X4 installation brought them back.

However, be sure to close Windows Explorer before you modify.  For some reason, any of the files that were on the screen when the program was modified still don't show up, but those below it do.

I repeated the process, unchecking the shell extension and modifying, the re-checking shell extension and modifying and all the thumbnails came back.  However, the files that didn't show up before now have very small thumbnails, and no preview in the preview pane (doesn't say "no preview available" either).  Re-started the computer and everything was back to normal.

RicRad replied on Thu, May 13 2010 11:59

Removing the Windows Shell Extention, rebooting and reinstalling the Windows Shell Extention is what worked for me. I had done an evaluation of Corel Technical Suite, and when I had uninstalled that program, I lost all my thumbnail viewing ability. It must have corrupted the Shell Extention programming, hence the necessity to reinstall it.

Hope that works for you.

Ric Darrell

I have Windows 7 64 bit...I checked my file associations by just typing "File Associations" in the search box on the Start > All Programs menu, and that gave me a selection. I did find that CDR was not associated with Corel Draw, so I corrected that, applied the change, and I'm still not gettng CDR thumbnails any more.

Anyone have another fix to try?

Thanks

Eric

Not Ranked
Binghamton, NY
Male

I recently updated to Windows 7, and I use Corel Draw 10, which I had to troubleshoot compatibility to have it open as if I had Windows 95, because Windows 7 wouldn't let me use my program.

The thumbnails previews didn't work when I had Vista, either, and trying your method, I'm not getting a "modify" option. It only wants to "uninstall". What's next, please? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Mickey Ray

I may be wrong, but I'm not sure CorelDraw 10 supported CDR thumbnails. 

Not Ranked
Binghamton, NY
Male

Wow, that's a bummer! No offense, but I hope you're wrong! Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Pigeon Forge, TN
Male
TAG - gdgmacros.com

Hi.

I don't think thumbnails through shell extension was included until v12.

You can use free romCAT to view them.

-John

Join me on Facebook to stay up to date with GDGMacros, Tips and Tricks for VBA Automation in CorelDraw, Discounts, specials, Free code and macros, and more cool sometimes not so relevant posts!

Not Ranked
Binghamton, NY
Male

Thanks for the tip! I've just downloaded ST Thumbnail explorer and it's a shareware program. It displayed all the Corel .cdr files perfectly.

I went to that romCAT page and I guess you have to register as a shopper before you can download that file.

Top 10 Contributor
Pigeon Forge, TN
Male
TAG - gdgmacros.com

HI.

I've tried that one.

Works well.

I personally use Thumbs Plus.

Also, You might want to upgrade your CorelDraw version one of these days. The new versions have alot of cool new features and you can get the upgrade price. Version 10 has a pretty bad rap.

-John

Not Ranked
Binghamton, NY
Male

I checked out Thumbs Plus, and it runs almost $30 more than the ST Thumbnails.

Living on SSD, money's pretty tight. I'd love to upgrade Corel, but just can't afford it.

Thanks for the help!

Mickey

Hi trex,

I'm very sorry to be absent since two weeks but that was really necessary...

I thank you very much for your help - I did everything what you've written, but it still doesn't work.

Not only that I modified the shell extension off and on - further on I completely uninstalled X4 and deleted everything that I found in the control panel that has to do with Corel (for I had an older version 11 some weeks ago).  But neither a completely new installation nor a new trial in modifying the shell extension are leading to a better result. On my pc the preview function of X4 is dead. I'm very grateful to this forum for I had a lot to pay if I were using the Corel hotline...

Meanwhile I'm convinced that they couldn't have helped me too.

I will now follow the hints of some other users of that forum and will look for a tool like thumbs plus or so. Otherwise I think I'll become mad...

I thank you all for your great assistance!

Best regards
Roland (alias Gonzo)

Page 2 of 3 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions / User Guidelines.