connecting users of the CorelDRAW family of products
We take every threat seriously. CorelDRAW.com has not been affected by the Heartbleed security bug.

Removing background from JPEG photo

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 10 Replies | 4 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

Vickie JB posted on Thu, Dec 9 2010 13:20

With a JPEG photo in Photo-Paint, I've been able to make the background transparent and just show a specific image either through masking or cutout lab. However, the photo still has its original rectangular shape. I want to remove the transparent background completely and just have the outlined image. Is this possible and how is it accomplished?

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 50 Contributor
St. Louis, MO
Male
Verified by Ariel
Well, first off the JPG format does not support transparency; it never has.
What is the end product supposed to be used for? *That* will determine the
best way to do this, so you need to give us more info as to what, exactly,
you're wanting to do.

----------------

"Vickie JB" wrote in message news:106200@coreldraw.com...

With a JPEG photo in Photo-Paint, I've been able to make the background
transparent and just show a specific image either through masking or cutout
lab. However, the photo still has its original rectangular shape. I want to
remove the transparent background completely and just have the outlined
image. Is this possible and how is it accomplished?

http://coreldraw.com/forums/p/23506/106200.aspx#106200
Top 10 Contributor
Melbourne
Male
Verified by Ariel

Hi Vickie,

as ElkHans states - you can use PNG and GIF. I would guess that ElkHans was assuming you want transparency for placing an image on a webpage. If you are creating images for print then it would come down to what type of image you are talking about. A "photograph" would be best saved as a PSD or CPT file format, as both of these will retain layers as well as transparency. I mention PSD before CPT as many bitmap programs can open a PSD, whereas only Photo-PAINT will open a CPT as far as I am aware.

Also, as ElkHans stated, a little more information about what type of image you are working on and what it is going to be used for would better enable us recommend a format for you.

Best regards,
Brian.

Brian Melbourne

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
St. Louis, MO
Male
Verified by Ariel
Well, first off the JPG format does not support transparency; it never has.
What is the end product supposed to be used for? *That* will determine the
best way to do this, so you need to give us more info as to what, exactly,
you're wanting to do.

----------------

"Vickie JB" wrote in message news:106200@coreldraw.com...

With a JPEG photo in Photo-Paint, I've been able to make the background
transparent and just show a specific image either through masking or cutout
lab. However, the photo still has its original rectangular shape. I want to
remove the transparent background completely and just have the outlined
image. Is this possible and how is it accomplished?

http://coreldraw.com/forums/p/23506/106200.aspx#106200
Top 10 Contributor
Melbourne
Male

Hi Vickie,

first off, as hunter said, you cannot have a transparent JPEG. Secondly, even though the "visible" part of an image can be any shape you like, the overall image itself is always a rectangle. To store an image in a file there has to be a reference to each pixel in the image - referencing its x and y co-ordinate and its colour values. The rectangle forms a grid with absolute references to every pixel on the grid. For example, the top left pixel might be green and could be referenced as x,y values 0,0 and r,g,b values 0,255,0. Imagine there was no rectangle around the image....if you had a red circle how could you address each pixel along the left-hand half of the circle? Every pixel would be at x position 0 as there would be no pixels to the left of it. What would tell the file that first pixel in the first row is 50 pixels in from the left, the first pixel in the second row is 45 pixels in from the left and so on when in fact there are no pixels to the left of either of those pixels? I hope that made sense. LOL.

I am wondering if what you are really asking is "how do I lose the white background"? If so, then after masking off your image you need to save the file in a format which supports transparency and this does not include  the JPEG format.

Best regards,
Brian.

Brian Melbourne

Hi Hunter,
See my latest post and question.
Phil
Hi Brian,
See my latest post and question.
Phil

Hi Brian:

Thanks for all the effort you put into your response. It makes sense. However, you said to accomplish my task I would need to save the file in a format which supports transparency (not JPEG format). What format supports transparency?

I will bring my photo into Photo-Paint, apply my mask, and save as what file type?

Vickie

Hi Vicki JB, I think that the file format that you want is a  .gif or a .png these 2 file formats will give you a transparent background and it would depend on what you are saveing the imag for as to which is best

a little more information from you would help

joe

Top 10 Contributor
Melbourne
Male
Verified by Ariel

Hi Vickie,

as ElkHans states - you can use PNG and GIF. I would guess that ElkHans was assuming you want transparency for placing an image on a webpage. If you are creating images for print then it would come down to what type of image you are talking about. A "photograph" would be best saved as a PSD or CPT file format, as both of these will retain layers as well as transparency. I mention PSD before CPT as many bitmap programs can open a PSD, whereas only Photo-PAINT will open a CPT as far as I am aware.

Also, as ElkHans stated, a little more information about what type of image you are working on and what it is going to be used for would better enable us recommend a format for you.

Best regards,
Brian.

Brian Melbourne

Top 50 Contributor
St. Louis, MO
Male
"Vickie JB" wrote in message news:...
> Hi Brian:
>
> Thanks for all the effort you put into your response. It makes sense.
> However, you said to accomplish my task I would need to save the file in a
> format which supports transparency (not JPEG format). What format supports
> transparency?
>
> I will bring my photo into Photo-Paint, apply my mask, and save as what
> file type?
>

Vickie, as I and Brian said previously, your end product/end use will
determine what the image is to be used for. You still need to tell us - is
this for a web page? a printed piece? what? Each medium will have its own
specifics.

Hi Brian:

Thanks again for the info. I apologize for not giving you more detail in my previous email. I thought I explained many posts earlier but I'll try to give more detail here:

I'm working on a product for resale. It is a 4.5 x 6.5" background photo with text placed over the photo. Then there is an animal (jpeg photo) placed on top of the first photo.  (I have removed the background from the animal photo before placing it on top of the background photo.) This will be printed on a self-adhesive, removeable material. The animal needs to be cut out as this becomes the removeable cling product. The manufacturer needs to be able to have a layer in the art for the cut line. Obviously I have created this in CorelDraw. 

Any further suggestions ftom you or ElkHans would be appreciaed.

Vickie

If I understand your request, you want your bitmap image to have an outline other than a rectangle. Since you are already working in CorelDRAW, you can accomplish this by importing the image into CorelDRAW, creating an object in the shape you want your image’s outline to be in, then power clipping the image into the shape you just created. You can than make the outline of the object into which you power clipped your image transparent.

Art

"Vickie JB" wrote in message news:106301@coreldraw.com...

Hi Brian:

Thanks again for the info. I apologize for not giving you more detail in my previous email. I thought I explained many posts earlier but I'll try to give more detail here:

I'm working on a product for resale. It is a 4.5 x 6.5" background photo with text placed over the photo. Then there is an animal (jpeg photo) placed on top of the first photo.  (I have removed the background from the animal photo before placing it on top of the background photo.) This will be printed on a self-adhesive, removeable material. The animal needs to be cut out as this becomes the removeable cling product. The manufacturer needs to be able to have a layer in the art for the cut line. Obviously I have created this in CorelDraw.

Any further suggestions ftom you or ElkHans would be appreciaed.

Vickie

http://coreldraw.com/forums/p/23506/106301.aspx#106301

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions / User Guidelines.