connecting users of the CorelDRAW family of products
We take every threat seriously. CorelDRAW.com has not been affected by the Heartbleed security bug.

Convert to bitmap => create transparency

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

Top 100 Contributor
Atlanta, USA
Male
asterix posted on Thu, Mar 24 2011 11:01

In CD, the arrow on the right is the original. Then I applyed convert to bitman and got what is on the left.

Why shadow is gone, why the fontain fill (white) become transparency?

CorelDraw X5 Smile v. 15.2.0.686 Hot Fix 4 - Windows 7-64

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Melbourne
Male

Hi Asterix,

this shouldn't be the answer, but can you try converting to bitmap again and unchecking Transparent Background? I am guessing you had that checked. I just did a quick test and even with that option checked I still retained the original look of my image with the shadow still there and the white to red gradient fill still looking as per the original. Can you explain the steps you took to create the original image? Maybe there is something that we cannot see in your screen capture which might tell the story.

I am sure one of the Draw experts will have a better answer for you.

Best regards,
Brian.

Brian Melbourne

Top 25 Contributor
Olympia, WA, USA
Male

Brian is absolutely right.  I did this in X4 and it worked just fine by unchecking 'transparency background'.

Let not the one who says it can't be done interrupt the one who is doing it.

Top 100 Contributor
Atlanta, USA
Male

Ok, I unchecked transparency.

- Lost shadow (this will remove shadow message ok) and I got white square around.

Top 25 Contributor
Olympia, WA, USA
Male

Settings I used.

Let not the one who says it can't be done interrupt the one who is doing it.

Top 100 Contributor
Atlanta, USA
Male

Din't loose the fontain on CMYK, but I do on RGB. But there is alway's a white square around.

Top 50 Contributor
Houston, Texas
Male
It seems that Graewerld is combining the background and the arrow when
he converts to a bitmap. The main problem is that Draw sees white as
transparent when you convert to a bitmap so you can either have the
shape of the arrow with the white transparent or you have the white of
the gradient but end up with the white box. I'm confused on why you need
the arrow turned into a bitmap but you can use these steps...

Select your shadow and CTRL+K. This will break apart the shadow into
it's own bitmap. Now select the arrow and hit the plus sign on your
numbering pad. This will create a duplicate directly on top of your
existing arrow. Convert your copy of the arrow to a bitmap with
transparency off. Now powerclip the new bitmap into the original arrow.
That should do it, but I'm still confused why it needs to be done.

Steve
www.brutefish.com
Top 10 Contributor
Melbourne
Male

Hi Steve,

this is weird, it seems to be an issue only relating to converting to a CMYK bitmap. If you choose to convert to bitmap, select RGB and uncheck Transparent Background - the conversion works fine without all the steps you suggested. However, if you convert to CMYK then the white area partially acts as transparency (even without Transparent Background checked), but not in a consistent manner!!

Take a look at the following video. First off I convert to an RGB bitmap and it works fine; there is just a slight colour shift as can be expected. I click undo and then convert again, but to CMYK this time. You will see the arrow becomes transparent in places....BUT, the pure white end of the arrow which should have become 100% transparent actually remains Opaque!

Brian Melbourne

Top 50 Contributor
Houston, Texas
Male

I think you are doing the same thing Graewerld was doing. I don't believe the original poster was flattening the arrow with the gradient background. Try what you just did but only on the arrow and see if that doesn't match what the OP was stating as the problem.

Top 10 Contributor
Melbourne
Male

Ahh, sorry Steve,

I get what you are saying, and yes, I am selecting all objects and converting to bitmap. If I only choose the arrow (with its dropshadow) I get a message dialog telling me that I am removing a control object and will lose the shadow. Not only does the shadow disappear, but the white box appears.

Breaking apart the drop shadow and then selecting all objects before converting to bitmap seems to give the best results.

Best regards,
Brian.

Brian Melbourne

Top 50 Contributor
Houston, Texas
Male
So the original problem still stands that when you have an object with a
gradient that includes white, converting it to a bitmap with
transparency will make the white part transparent. To preserve the white
in the gradient you have to convert without transparency but that
creates the white box. The solution is to not convert the object to a
bitmap or to powerclip the bitmap into another shape to remove the white
box.

Steve
www.brutefish.com
Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions / User Guidelines.