connecting users of the CorelDRAW family of products
We take every threat seriously. CorelDRAW.com has not been affected by the Heartbleed security bug.

PsiService_2.exe :(

rated by 0 users
This post has 26 Replies | 13 Followers

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

argosdex Posted: Sat, Jan 26 2008 20:45

am pretty annoyed that Corel finds it necessary to add AND run a service ALL the time in my computer without warning or consent of the user at the time of install in order to protect it's product.

After installation I found Protexis Licensing (PsiService_2.exe) set to run Automatically in services.msc, if this service is stopped Corel will no longer run and requests a reinstall.

It unnecessarily consumes resources and if every software developer decided to use this scheme no Ram would suffice as the service uses 2 Kb. It might not seem like a lot but if you add it to all the other junk it translates into your system taking a hit just to run this program

PaintShop Pro X2 does the same thing, that alone was reason enough for me to uninstall it and request a refund under the 30 day money back guarantee.

I certainly understand a developer's need to protect its product but to bog down precious system resources is not the way to go about it.

What I wonder is why they even bother adding piracy protection when it is cracked within hours of its release and sometimes before it is even officially released. Seems to me they could save more money without spending the resources to write code that will be hacked right away. 

Agreed teh PSI SErvice is not required, but the most import issue is that we as consumers ahve ther right (NOT Privilage) of knowing when spyware of any sort is being installed on the a system.

1. corel need to re-thik how the software is in stalled for instance; have noitce embedded into the install window that indicates the PSI software is being installed an dwhat it does with a button that say accept or refuse...this way we have the option

having siad that.what option do we really have as for me I have no experience using Illustrator and I am stuck using coreldraw...so I am force to install the software. This in it's self is an insult to me being a LOYAL Corel Customer!!!!

What need to be done is is the trial version has the Protexis software install and one it's be legally registered the the softwate is can be

A. auto uninstalled (including all registry info!!!) or

B. the service can be turned off with out effecting the corel software

This seem s to be the best solution altogther

I hope COREL seeriously takes a look at this!!!! and make revisionn ASAP because as it been stated. alternatate solutions do exist without going to the competion.

Rock on Corel!

I learn something new everyday

Although this topic is rather old I'd like to agree on all points mentioned.

This is unacceptable. A spyware program that runs all the time in the background using up valueable system ressources without me even knowing that it is installed (until searching for such services specifically) or what exacty it is doing!

It is not even possible to reactivate the service when needed. You would have to restart your machine every time you use Corel software.

No wonder piracy is so widestread. People are forced to when they want to run programs without such reprisals.

I nedd help on how to remove this junk running in the background of my pc.

i Ininstalled the trial software and this is still running..

HELP ME PLEASE.

I work from this pc and it is all blogged down...

Please advise  [:'(]

Top 50 Contributor
Ottawa, Canada
Male
CorelEmployee

thebat1:

I nedd help on how to remove this junk running in the background of my pc.

i Ininstalled the trial software and this is still running..

HELP ME PLEASE.

I work from this pc and it is all blogged down...

Please advise  [:'(]

Hi, it's a service, look for protexislicensing in the services and change the startup type (I don't think coreldraw will run anymore after you do this).

Btw, I wouldn't worry too much about it taking up resources.  I've been running my computer for 39.4 days and the service hasn't even taken a full second of processor time on my system and it's only using a around 250k of memory.  If you're experiencing problems, this probably isn't the cause. 

Regards,
Hendrik

Top 25 Contributor
Brisbane Australia
Male
Yani replied on Wed, Jul 23 2008 10:41

Far a I'm concerned there isn't enough spyware installed by Corel.

I'd love to see spyware that tracked features actually used as long as the result were made public and the stats were collective and not user specific.

It would highlight the areas that are most important  and make obvious features that could be dumped.

Has the spyware ever been used to do more than collect stats? Does it even do that?

Yani

Ned's Mother -- You gotta help us, Doc. We've tried nothing and we're fresh out of ideas!
( The Simpsons, Hurricane Neddy -- Season:8 Episode:8 First Aired:12/29/1996 )

Top 10 Contributor
Cave Creek, AZ
Male
TAG - Mediamarketplace (Foster)
Yani,

During the beta process there is a "spyware" version of CorelDRAW
distributed to some users that does track their feature usage. I believe
they also place this version with selected users as they are developing a
feature list for future versions.

It would be cool if a user could request receiving this version so their
usage could be tied into the stats. Maybe just download an installer that
adds the tracking feature. I doubt we'd ever see the usage stats made
public, but it would be kinda cool to see.

My own experience shows that the average user is not very productive.
Believe me, I'm not trying to offend anyone here, just stating my
observations. Users will learn the product on their own and they learn bad
habits and have numerous frustrations. They are amazed to see how much
faster and more productive they can be when they get training. Of course
they also learn about cool features to improve their design. Sadly I don't
think the majority of users (again, you, the reader may be an exception)
want to learn. "Sorry, I don't have time for that". Yes, they have to take
an hour, a day, a week or whatever time frame off from their work. Yet
they'll get that time back very quickly in increased productivity.

For those enlightened users who want to learn, I and other will provide the
training they desire. I just wish more users would realize what they are
missing.
Top 25 Contributor
Brisbane Australia
Male
Yani replied on Wed, Jul 23 2008 21:21

There are certainly things that don't get much use that I wouldn't want removed.

But it would be a good way to track what isn't actually being tested during the beta cycle.

I'm all for productive spyware as long as the results are open and nothing is hidden.

Yani

Ned's Mother -- You gotta help us, Doc. We've tried nothing and we're fresh out of ideas!
( The Simpsons, Hurricane Neddy -- Season:8 Episode:8 First Aired:12/29/1996 )

Top 10 Contributor
Uruguay
Male
CorelDRAWMaster

anyway, it's not a spyware:

http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/psiservice/70070

psiservice.exe description

Description

psiservice.exe is a Protexis Copy Protection and License Management Software from ProtexisLicensing belonging to PSIService

Click to run a free scan for psiservice.exe related errors.

${templatedict['scan_pc_including']} ${details.filename}, ${templatedict['detect_security_threat']}

Recommendation

Not a critical component, but see the information above before disabling it. It is highly recommended to Run a Free Performance Scan to automatically optimize memory, CPU and Internet Settings..

psiservice.exe general information

Author:

ProtexisLicensing

Part of:

PSIService

Common Path(s):

%system%

REMOVAL & SECURITY

Fix psiservice.exe Errors

Free scan

Boost psiservice.exe Speed

Free scan

Secuirty risk (0-5):

n/a

Spyware:

No (Free spyware scan)

Virus:

No (Remove)

Trojan:

No (Remove)

Ariel Garaza Díaz

arielgaraza.com

The problem is that they are spending money on this, increasing cost of programming and charging us for it. Adding stuff like this creates the reason to crack it. The high cost makes it more likely for someone to find a crack instead of buying it. The easy solution is to lower the price (no more than $20.00) which will make it more profitable for Corel.

The lower price will make it a more attractive buy, plus will would reduce the number of people looking for a crack rather than pay a high price. Simple economics is the lower price equals more sales equals more profit. Corel would save money on developing security or paying another company to do so, which equals more profit too.

Corel knowledge base states that PSIService.exe is required by MS Vista, so it maybe the same with this version of the software. If this is true, than we will have to expect more PC resources devoted to crap like this. What the one poster said about more programs using such software will be true then, and we will be losing resources for BS.

This type stuff is needed strictly because of over-priced software. Solve the problem by lowering the price. More people will buy it instead of cracking it so the software maker/seller will make more money and save costs.

Top 75 Contributor
UK
Male

DonCorneo:

The problem is that they are spending money on this, increasing cost of programming and charging us for it. Adding stuff like this creates the reason to crack it. The high cost makes it more likely for someone to find a crack instead of buying it. The easy solution is to lower the price (no more than $20.00) which will make it more profitable for Corel.

The lower price will make it a more attractive buy, plus will would reduce the number of people looking for a crack rather than pay a high price. Simple economics is the lower price equals more sales equals more profit. Corel would save money on developing security or paying another company to do so, which equals more profit too.

Corel knowledge base states that PSIService.exe is required by MS Vista, so it maybe the same with this version of the software. If this is true, than we will have to expect more PC resources devoted to crap like this. What the one poster said about more programs using such software will be true then, and we will be losing resources for BS.

This type stuff is needed strictly because of over-priced software. Solve the problem by lowering the price. More people will buy it instead of cracking it so the software maker/seller will make more money and save costs.

You think Corel is highly priced? in my opinion, Corel Graphics Suite is EXTREMELY good value for the tools it features....... Go have a look at how much Adobe CS3 is ;)

If Corel is too expensive for an individual to purchase, my advice to that person would be to go and use an open source package such as inkscape and not violate piracy laws.

Top 10 Contributor
Uruguay
Male
CorelDRAWMaster

DonCorneo:
This type stuff is needed strictly because of over-priced software. Solve the problem by lowering the price

'm not sure about this. I know most people that have enough money, and don't want to spend money in software

Ariel Garaza Díaz

arielgaraza.com

Top 50 Contributor
Ottawa, Canada
Male
CorelEmployee

DonCorneo:
The easy solution is to lower the price (no more than $20.00) which will make it more profitable for Corel.

I think you're overestimating the demand for vector graphics software on the PC, by just a bit.

Regards,
Hendrik

I'm sorry, I should have specified WinDVD by itself. Corel bought the rights because it was a successful piece of software.

WinDVD was reasonably priced prior to Corel's aquiring it. I paid around $25.00 for WinDVD 7. Now WinDVD 9 is $40.00 list. The price is higher with other versions.

I used to use Corel's Word Perfect over MS Word because it was easier to use and much a cheaper. I don't know whether it is still easy to use, but the price it is now it's about the same as MS products.

Yes, there will be people who won't pay, but that's a small minority compared to those who don't pay because it's over-priced.

I haven't looked at any of the bundles or suites, so I was not commenting on them, just the price of WinDVD without any upgraded stuff.

I only looked at it because for some reason my WinDVD 7 won't show the DVD picture. I can not find a reason for it not working, and since it was a InterVideo product, there is a total lack of support from Corel. I suppose it is also not support because of being so old.

WinDVD was always one the best products for the purpose, but Corel is ruining this with the security protection. I'm planning on making a PC just for media use (TV, DVD, etc.), but since I'm not planning on it having dedicated internet access, it looks like I won't be using WinDVD. If I understand correctly, if WinDVD can't "check in" via internet, it won't function. This is totally BS if true, and for Corel to expect everyone to have internet access is really outrageous.

Corel needs to step backwards and start providing the products it used to, ones that were specifically made to be friendly, didn't include the BS MS likes to add and charge more for.

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions / User Guidelines.