connecting users of the CorelDRAW family of products
We take every threat seriously. CorelDRAW.com has not been affected by the Heartbleed security bug.

Disapperaing fonts in CorelDRAW ...

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 20 Replies | 1 Follower

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

Top 500 Contributor
Laurel, MD
Male
Gary G. posted on Thu, Dec 13 2012 13:54

The culprit is security patch KB2753842 (12-11-12), in my case, in Windows 7, 64-bit, I have talked to Microsoft and reported this as an issue. In the meantime, hit a previous restore point and re-install all service patches except for the one above. Right click on the link to that patch and HIDE it. Then, update your antivirus and you're back to normal.

This also affects CorelDRAW X5 FWIW!

It was a PAINFUL process of elimination, but I finally figured it out!

I will post whatever I hear back from Microsoft.

I hope this has been helpful!

Gary G.

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Stockholm, SWEDEN (Europe) Illustrator & Artist
Male
CorelDRAWMaster
Top 25 Contributor
Jacksonville, Florida USA
Male
CorelDRAWMaster

Also here

http://coreldraw.com/forums/p/36987/174006.aspx#174006

Tony Severenuk:

It's under investigation, but since we didn't have a firm answer at this point I was waiting to post.

We're going to compare Arial from Win8 and Win7. Now that office supports OpenType features we're betting they updated the font so it now takes advantage of "Captial Spacing" feature, which we turn on automatically if we see more than two consecutive capital letters.

For more information on Capital Spacing, check this..
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/features_ae.htm#cpsp

Stay tuned,
T.

Not Ranked
Greece
Male

Thanks a lot! All the stations using X5 had that problem since yesterday!

Top 500 Contributor
Atlanta, GA
Male

I am having the same problem at work with X4 running on XP. Fortunately I have another Windows 7 machine running X6. Do you think a restore might work on the XP machine?

THW

Top 50 Contributor
Ottawa, Canada
Male
CorelEmployee

Tommy Westbrook:
I am having the same problem at work with X4 running on XP. Fortunately I have another Windows 7 machine running X6. Do you think a restore might work on the XP machine?

Tommy, the solution is here (solution was also reported above, you must have skipped over it)

Top 500 Contributor
Atlanta, GA
Male

Well, I still am "not quite sure" what to do on XP, even though I read all those posts. Would the Patch Number BE THE SAME on XP?

THW

Top 25 Contributor
Murrieta, California, U.S.
Male

Tommy Westbrook:

Well, I still am "not quite sure" what to do on XP, even though I read all those posts. Would the Patch Number BE THE SAME on XP?

Yes. The 'patch number' really is the number assigned to the article that describes the patch, what it does, what it corrects, and which versions of Windows the patch 'corrects'.

When I read the article, on MS web site, it included WinXP among those that the patch is targetted at.

HuMJohn aka Hugh Johnson

Just to confirm, I had the same update (kb2753842) installed yesterday and today on my xp and my win7 machines. Removing the patch from each fixed them. Then I learned that you can hide the patch, at least in win7, so it isn't automatically installed again. Don't yet know how to hide it from my xp machine but at least I'm able to work again with all my X5 documents with myriad pro fonts.

I am running win xp pro sp3.

I tried to locate the update under "Add or Remove Programs" and have checked the "Show Updates" box but still can't seem to find KB2753842.

Do you know under what item/heading/etc it is listed under?

Thanks,

K

^^^ Scroll down through the list, it may be near the bottom.

Been there, done that.

I was hoping for something more specific.

I did scroll through the items listed under "Windows XP - Software Updates" located near the bottom of the list.
The most recent installations have a date  "Installed On 11/16/2012" but no KB2753842 appears and nothing with a December install date  listed under this heading.

Thanks

K

Top 10 Contributor
London UK

Poly Gone:
it may be near the bottom.

It is, very near the bottom. See http://coreldraw.com/forums/p/37077/173999.aspx#173999 for more precise instructions in XP.

Top 500 Contributor
Atlanta, GA
Male

Thanks, Hugh. That's what I needed to know.

THW

Top 500 Contributor
Atlanta, GA
Male

I have turned off automatic updates since Microsoft tried to reinstall that accursed patch. I suggest everyone do the same.

THW

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions / User Guidelines.